Qualifications Currently Held
- Master of Science degree in Herbal Medicine from the University of Wales (2003)
- Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK) (since1987) Made a Fellow in 2009
- Professional member of the American Herbalists Guild (since 1993)
- Professional member of the Canadian Herbalists Association of BC (since 1992)
- Diploma in Botanical Garden Management (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew) (2013)
- Diploma in Botanical Garden Education (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew) (2014)
- Certified Master Gardener (1999)
- Certified Horticulture Therapist (2005)
- Faculty chair in Botanical Medicine at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine, New Westminster, BC. 2004 – 2016
- Director of the Comox Valley Land Trust (conservation and land protection group) since 2008
- Director of Gardens without Borders (horticulture therapy association) since 2005
- Member of the board of advisors of the Journal of the American Herbalists Guild
- Member of the Education Committee of the American Herbalists Guild
- Member of the admissions review committee of the American Herbalists Guild
- Member of the board of advisors to A.Vogel Institute (Bioforce), Canada
- Contributing editor to ‘Medical Herbalism’ newsletter
- Technical consultant for Rodale Press, Reader’s Digest and Storey Publishing
- Professional Educator for Vogel / BioForce (Switzerland)
- The Herbal Treatment Clinic (Glasgow, Scotland) 1987 – 1989
- The Galen Natural Therapy Center (Vancouver) 1991 – 1993
- The Gaia Garden Herbal Dispensary (Vancouver) 1993 – 2004
- Cabrera Consultants 2005 to present
- In clinical practice since 1987, seeing 10 – 12 patients per week, practicing as a medical herbalist, nutritionist and aromatherapist. Individual consultations and customized prescribing of herbal and nutritional protocols for optimal wellness.
- Management (1993 – 2004) of a multi-disciplinary holistic medical clinic with a variety of practitioners offering different services.
- Approved as a clinical preceptor by the National College of Naturopathic Medicine (Portland, Oregon), Bastyr University (Seattle) and the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK) to teach clinical skills to naturopathic and herbal medicine students.
- Participated in grand rounds with the doctors of BC Women’s Hospital and have lectured on alternative approaches to treating HIV and AIDS at St. Paul’s Hospital, and on natural medicines for cancer at UBC.
- Faculty chair and senior lecturer in Botanical Medicine at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine, New Westminster, BC. since 2004 to present
- Visiting faculty at Middlesex University (London UK), The School of Phytotherapy (UK), Bastyr University (Seattle), Dominion Herbal College (Vancouver) and National College of Naturopathic Medicine (Portland)
- Currently recognized as a mentor by the American Herbalists Guild and the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK).
Administrative and developmental work
- Employed from 1993 – 1996 by the Coastal Mountain College of Healing Arts (formerly Wild Rose College of Natural Healing) in the position of Director of Herbal Studies. My responsibilities included the design, development and implementation of a three month Wildcrafting intensive, a one year training in the business of herbs and a three year full time Clinical Herbalist training program. I handled all the administrative protocol and coordinated the needs and schedules of 38 instructors and almost 100 students annually.
- Employed by Dominion Herbal College, Vancouver from 1990 – 1993 as Dean of Academic Studies. During this time I created and delivered a three year, part time program in clinical herbal therapy.
- Employed 2004 – 2016 as Faculty Chair in Botanical Medicine at the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine, New Westminster, BC. Responsible for curriculum design delivery and development for 180 natural medicine students a year.
- Medical Herbalism Newsletter (contributing editor )
- The Townsend Letter for Doctors
- The Canadian Journal of Herbalism
- Alive Health Magazine
- The European Journal of Herbal Medicine
- Canadian Herb Society Newsletter
- Healthy Living Magazine
- Herbs for Health Magazine
- American Herb Association Newsletter
- Canadian Association of Herbal Practitioners Newsletter
- Common Ground Magazine
- Dimensions Magazine
- Shared Vision Magazine
- Everwild Magazine
- Natural Health Magazine
- Total Health Magazine
- HerbalGram Magazine
- Nutrition Science News
- The Business of Health
- The Island Word
- The Herbal Collective
Over 250 papers presented at conferences and symposiums since 1991, in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
- 6 o’clock News – CBC
- Alternative Medicine Digest
- CFAX Radio in Victoria
- CFUN radio
- Chatelaine magazine
- Coop Radio
- Evening News – BCTV
- Evening News – CTV
- Healthy Living with Croft Woodruff (AM 1040)
- House Calls – The Art Hister Show CKNW
- Macleans Magazine
- McCalls magazine
- Prevention Magazine
- Readers Digest
- Red Book magazine
- The Alive Show – CBC
- The Courier
- The Discovery Channel
- The Fanny Keifer Show – CKNW
- The Knowledge Network
- The Province
- The Rafe Mair Show – CKNW (most frequent repeat guest over 12 years)
- The Robert Crayhon Show (New York)
- The Vancouver Sun
- Women’s Weekly magazine
- July 1999 – The Ella Birznek award for outstanding contribution to the furtherance of professional herbalism.
- August 1999 – The American Herbalists Guild esteemed colleague honor roll
- September 2009 – Fellowship in the National Institute of Medical Herbalists
Other Relevant Work Experience
- 1 year working as a Relaxation Therapist in a Massage Clinic in Whistler, B.C. (1989)
- 18 months vice president of the B.C. Holistic Healing Association.
- 5 years as a council member of The American Herbalists Guild
- Founder of the Gaia Garden Herbal Dispensary, a full service herbal dispensary and Canada’s largest retail herb shop.
- Author of the book ‘Fibromyalgia – the Journey Toward Healing’ published by Contemporary Books
- Assistant director and staff botanist on a film project documenting ethnobotany of the Nilgiri hill tribes in southern India (2010)
References available upon request
3636 Trent Road
1 250 336 8767 (office)
1 604 838 4372 (cell)