Health Information Series
If there is no known anatomical cause of excess mucous production, and if there is no infection present, then it is important to check for allergies.
Foods to eat
- Fruit, fresh, cooked or dried.
- All kinds of salads with oil and vinegar/lemon juice dressings.
- All kinds of vegetables, cooked or raw, especially onions, leeks and garlic.
- Proteins: nuts, pulses (peas, beans, lentils etc.), all kinds of fish and free range chicken.
Note that some people develop mucous problems from soya beans and tofu so eat these only if you do not have adverse reactions.
Foods to avoid
- Dairy products – milk, butter, cream, cheese.
- Sugar and all refined carbohydrates (white rice and pasta, white bread, cakes, puddings, cookies, pastry, and anything containing sugar or white flour)
- Fried foods.
- Peanuts and peanut butter.
Foods to eat in moderation
- Whole grain cereals (e.g. buckwheat, millet, brown rice, spelt, kamut, quinoa and amaranth.
- Polyunsaturated vegetable oils (e.g.. flax, canola, safflower and sunflower).
- Honey, maple syrup, barley malt, brown rice syrup.
- Fresh, unsweetened fruit juices, and fresh vegetable juices.
- All sorts of herb teas, especially Golden Rod, Plantain, Elderflower and Mint.
- Cereal coffee substitutes (e.g.. Inka, Bambu, Caf-Lib) with soya milk instead of cream.
Avoid large, heavy meals. Get as much sunshine, fresh air and exercise as possible. Avoid dusty, polluted or smoky atmospheres. Drink at least half an hour before or 2 hours after meals. Garlic should be eaten freely.
Essential oil inhalations
- Peppermint clears the head and alleviates stuffiness and congestion.
- Sage drys the mucous membranes.
- Thyme and Eucalyptus are anti-microbial all the way through the respiratory tract.
- Place 3 – 6 drops in a stainless steel, china or glass bowl.
- Pour on boiling water.
- Place a towel over your head and inhale the steam.
- Be careful! The steam is hot and the herbs are strong! You may need to take shallow breaths at first, or even come up for air.
- Continue inhaling the steam until it cools. Do not throw out the water but place the bowl near your bed and you will continue to get vapors evaporating all night.
For children place the basin on the floor and hold the child firmly on your lap over the basin. Alternatively, place the oils in a saucer with a little water and place this on a radiator in the child’s room. Essential oils can also be used in a humidifier or a diffusor.
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids to bowel tolerance
- Quercitin 1 g
- N-acetyl-glucosamine 1500 mg